Youngstown Eats is part of MARK KNOWS IT ALL/WRAGPAC. Check out our website at http://www.wragpac.com or www.markknowsitall.com



Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Twentieth Century and Youngstown Eats Nostalgia















Several weeks ago I got a call from a guy in California. He told me he was a Youngstown State grad, and was planning a reunion in Las Vegas for his YSU Zeta Beta Tau fraternity and those brothers who attended Youngstown University in the mid 1960’s. On his reunion website he had a page to post pictures of Youngstown memorabilia from that interesting era.

While looking for pictures he came across my Youngstown Eats blog. He asked if I could help locate pictures of the Twentieth Century Restaurant that used to be at the point on Belmont Avenue. For those of you who don’t know, the northside of Youngstown had a large Jewish population. The Twentieth Century Restaurant was about as close to a New York deli as one might find in the area. The ZBT’s were the Jewish fraternity on campus wrapping everything up in a nice package. Coincidentally, my cousin was a  ZBT when he went to "Youngstown University" and turned out to be good friends with Howard, the guy from California. No...I am not Jewish. I am Catholic and so is my cousin, ZBT's token Gentile!!

Through some effort and some information given to me by my good friend Suzyn, I was able to point him in the direction of the family of the original owners who now live in Columbus. The pictures arrived in California last week, along with some of the restaurant recipes.

Over the course of the search and many phone conversations, I got to know Howard. There was much conversation reminiscing about old Youngstown restaurants. It was fun to do the Memory Lane thing, and revisit some of them in my mind. It also served to remind me of many of the events, good and bad, that shaped me, my family, and the Youngstown area.

There were very few, if any chains, back in the day. My earliest experience in dining took place at the Hotel Pick Ohio in the Crystal Dining Room. It was worthy of New York with its stiff white table cloths and crystal chandeliers off the hotel lobby which itself was dominated by a beautiful, massive mural. Now part of the Youngstown Housing Authority the lobby mural is still there.

Other downtown establishments included the Mural Room. You walked in the door and down some steps into a fantastic space. My senior prom was held there, as well as a number of college events when I was attending YSU. Both Strouss and McKelvey’s had terrific department store restaurants. Strouss had the Western Reserve Room, where I had lunch many times up until it stopped being Strouss and became something else. The Strouss Grill on the first floor behind the bakery (large pecan rolls and those little marmalade sticky rolls) was also a great place for lunch. Great chicken croquettes and the best hamburgers I ever had. Then there was Lum’s in the old bus arcade! We used to walk down there from the university for a hot dog. Honorable mention goes to The Italian Restaurant (the 75 year old waitress could carry 12 plates of food and kick the revolving door with her foot) and the Hasti House with wonderful pies.

Going south on Market Street you hit the uptown restaurants. The most famous was the original Antone’s and its Confetti Lounge. This is where I took a girl to impress her with such exotic dishes as fried cheese and veal francaise, and of course the famous Antone’s salad. Further south was Cicero’s. I never ate there, but it was swank and a mob hangout. It was also the site of several car bombings. You could lose track of the body count. Across the street was the Mansion. It was done in red leather and black velvet. They don’t make them like that anymore. And across from that was the Colonial House…where the elite met. It was THE hangout, with regular patrons getting their regular tables. You had drive through a very narrow carport to get to the parking lot in the rear. I only scraped the side of my folks car once. The building is still there, empty and decaying.

Keep driving south on Market Street you would hit the Golden Drumstick and its fried chicken and biscuits and honey. It was the sister restaurant to the Twentieth Century done in that distinct 1950's architecture. Even further south was Howard Johnson’s…HJ’s…where my high school friends and I hung out, and my folks would take us for Sunday dinner, clam boat and all. It was here that I first learned that steak with salt tastes better than steak without salt.

Two more southside restaurants figure prominently in the history of Youngstown food. Shot’s restaurant was located near Boardman Methodist Church. I used to meet my father and his friends there for lunch several times a week up until the place closed around 1980. And finally…Morgan’s Wonder Boy…the triple decker hamburger place with the twirling outside statue holding a burger and all of the drive up stalls to hang out on Friday night. It also served a new kind of chicken, something called Col. Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken.  The corner morphed into a Circuit City and now a CVS Pharmacy.

People who lived in Youngstown southern suburbs were "holier than thou" tucked away in their dry townships. On the weekend they headed to the strip in Niles to let their hair down. The premier restaurant was the Living Room, which was actually a supper club with big name entertainment. It had several levels, and was the place to go. I took dates their several times…and was so shook up by the wheelers and dealers patronizing the joint I  couldn’t have a good time.

Other strip names included Alberini’s now closed.  The CafĂ© 422 is still operating under different management and one of my most favorite places to go. (It has opened up a second restaurant in Boardman). Then there was Cherry’s Top of the Mall in the Eastwood Mall. I never went there, but lots of interesting people did. The El Rio was a favorite of my college friends with a HUGE menu. And down towards Warren was the Girves Brown Derby…one of the original steak houses in the area and part of an early restaurant chain. It was great. Loved to slurp the onion rings around in the steak juice!!

All of these places on the Niles/Warren 422 corridor were provided patrons by the Kenley Players in the summer located in the Packard Music Hall. Big names would come to the area for a new summer stock play every week for 12 weeks. I don’t know how John Kenley did it, but he did. Starting in Warren, he expanded to Akron and Columbus. He was a legend. Unfortunately, when he went belly up, so did a lot of the restaurants.

Which brings us  full circle back to the Twentieth Century, one of my most favorite Youngstown restaurants!! Here is where I learned to eat Reuben sandwiches and the famous and infamous Spinning Bowl salad. They would bring the ingredients right out to the table like an old style Caesar Salad making it right in front of you! Add a couple of their sticky buns and you were good for the evening…except save room for some of its chocolate pie. I never had another like it anywhere.

Talking to Howard about these culinary gems made it seem like such a long time ago. It wasn’t. Almost all were still up and running in the mid 1970’s, many still operating through the mid 1980’s when the mills finally shut down and chains took over. It was the double whammy for sole proprietor restaurateurs. Although this area still continues its long history of good eating…sometimes I get lost in the nostalgia, and I think about the Twentieth Century as I drive past the now vacant lot at the point on Belmont Avenue. Such is the passage of time.

76 comments:

Michael C said...

What a great post. I had to read it twice. I enjoyed the trip down Memory Lane. I have tried to find the original receipe for the 20th Century's chocolate cream pie. Do you have any leads? Would love to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

That was my parents restaurant.I still have many of the recipes boxed somewhere in my basement.thanks for the wonderful praise and memory.Kurt malkoff 18008861171 ,

Roz said...

someone sent me this post - i loved reading it. funny - I was the sweetheart of ZBT - I was trying to figure out who was the person from ZBT you were talking about. My parents still live on the northside not to far from where the 20th century was. i would love to know the people from zbt you were referring to

corey said...

any chance there is a recipe for their sweet rolls and the famous 'Spinning bowl Salad'??

Martha said...

Great post. However, there is no mention of the fabulous cheesecake that Century 21 was known for. I'm in California and when my mother visited me, she always brought one with her, holding it in her lap on the plane the whole way.

Anonymous said...

This is such a great place to eat THE 20TH CENTURY.I worked there for 25 years. It was a shame it had to go. it was the greatest place to work love all the customers. still see so many of them now.

denad said...

I can remember going to Hayes Junior High and walking to the 20th Century for lunch and eating a lot of Kosher dill pickles as they had a jar at each table.
The writer never mentioned pizza at the Venetian (or am I that much older?)
I thought that my home, San Francisco, (45 years) was (is)the best resturant city in the US, but I guess I'll need to travel a few thousand miles back to Youngstown to eat great food!

Harry Cohen - Rayen 1958

seth_malkin said...

Great post!! I had a little reunion last summer at The Avalon Gardens, where they claimed to served the original Spinning Bowl Salad.
Seth M

Ginger said...

You guys forgot about Handy Andy's on Market Street. It was before and on the opposite side of Morgan's Bigboy. It was the last of its kind where us girls actually came out on roller skates to get your order. Only thing close to that now is A&W, but theres no roller skates. Also you forgot the chocolate malts at Downtown Strouss basedment. The chocolate pie from 20th Centruy or Golden Drumstick I have the recipe for but its easier just to buy the chocolate silk pie from Perkins. Its very very close.

maddyo said...

Thank you for this great article on Youngstown's restaurants; and all true. My husband and I both went to YSU and he was a ZBT.The toga parties rivaled Animal House.
Joey Levy owned 2oth Century and what a terrific host. Glad you mentioned the great Italian resturants, have eaten in everyone you mentioned, and weren't they terrific. 422 had my mother and father inlaws favorite steak and pasta. Thanks again for saying nice things about Youngstown.

maddyo said...

Thanks so much for the great article. My husband and I both went to YSU; and have eaten in everyone of your mentioned restaurants. You are right, they were all great. My husband was a ZBT and I remember the toga parties rivaling Animal House. Joey Levy, owner of 20th Century was a terrific host. Italian food; none better and I now live in NYC and can still say that. Thx again, it was wonderful to reminisce.
Maddy O

Anonymous said...

I have the chocolate pie recipe in an old Church cookbook. Will share. 2oth Century was like a second home .. we ate there so often in the 50s - 60s. Harry Malkoff was a wonderful man, always made you feel welcomd.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great post, all the memories came roaring back. My parents favorite neighbor resturant. We lived on Tod Lane across from Crandal Park and frequented the 20th Century weekly when I was growing up on the North side of Y-town. As I got older, I think almost every place mentioned in the post was on my trail at some point. Left Y-town behind after YSU and the good times there.
Nick

Bill M. said...

what a great trip into my past! For years I had a paper route on the Northside and we picked up our papers at the gas station next to the 20th Century,Squiglia's Sunoco, always thought I'd eat there some day, never did. Does anyone remember the addition that was added to the restaurant? It was called "The Flame", outside the "canopy" had real torches burning. Natural gas was cheaper then !!

Bev said...

Bev said...
No one has mentioned the crock of pickles in the middle of the table. There was never one left when we were done.

Bev said...

Bev says....
No one has mentioned the crock of pickles in the center of the table. There were none left when we were done. The good old days!!

Pat said...

Don't forget Wheeler's on Market Street where we went after basketball games. One night there was a heavy snow and one of the girls lost her pearl ring her father gave her for Christmas. The four of us got big boxes and tubs and shoveled up the snow in front of the restaurant and melted it in one of the guy's basement. Unfortunately, we didn't find her ring.

Also remember Isaly's the first store to open in the Boardman Plaza and their skyscrapers.
What was the name of that drive in restaurant at the corner of Shields Road and Market Street.

Remember the Chateaubriand on South Avenue where athey also served that tenderloin for two with the mashed potatoes fluted around the edge?

My grandfather and grandmother owned the New England lunch next to a medical supply store (can't think of the name of it) on Fifth Avenue near where the firestation is now. Grandpa went to Yellow Creek in Struthers and got turtles to make Turtle soup. The Springfield Grille still has turtle soup on their menu.
What fun remembering.
Pat

Anonymous said...

Great post. Ate at every one of those places when I lived in Y-town. And lest we forget The Boulevard Tavern on Southern Blvd.?

Carol M said...

Hopefully I can stop crying long enough to type. I grew up on the northside of Younhstown, born in 1943 now living in Willoughby, Ohio. Does anyone remember the small vats of dill pickles that were always on the tables at the Twentieth Century, staying pretty north there was the Boatyard, Dee's Frozen Custard, how about the magnificent cakes from the Bell Fair Bakery, Stones Grill and Rodney Ann's and the Ringside downtown? The original Bellaria on Albert St. And my sister and I were two of the luckiest little girls in town. Once a month our aunts would take us to Cleveland on the train. We would be all dressed up in our patent leather shoes, fur trimmed winter coats amd muffs to match. The train porters always called us Miss Carol and Miss Mary Ann and took our little gloved hands and helped us up into the train and always made sure we had window seats. Do any of you remember the Fire Department sponsored Cleveland Indians Baseball Games they took us to on the trains? Yes folks, those were the days.

Bob said...

These weren't fine dining, but living in the fraternity house for 3 years, we went to the Toddle House, the Bellaria Pizzeria for great hamburgers, and when we were really hard up, Jays downtown for hot dogs that had arm hair on them because of how the chili and mustard was slathered on.
No one mentioned Ambrosio's on Belmont, which was family owned and Jim, who I believe was a Theta Chi, tended bar.

Bob said...

I can't believe no one mentioned the Alibi Lounge.

Anonymous said...

20th Century Salad Serves 6

1 head lettuce
2 hard boiled eggs, crumbled
1/2 cup croutons

Dressing:
1/2 cup blue cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup water
1 T. white vinegar
2 T. onion, minced

Mix blue cheese, mayonnaise, water, vinegar and onion. Refrigerate. When ready to serve, place lettuce in bowl and pour dressing over lettuce. Add crumbled boiled eggs and croutons and mix.

jjh52 said...

Great timing. The Boardman High School class of 1959 is having a 70th Birthday Bash at Geneva on the Lake in July (home of Eddies Grill and Madsen's donuts) in July where many of us spent our summer vacations.This post will be a wonderful trivia resource.

Jack H.

bob cain said...

Who could EVER forget JAY.S hotdogs. The lady that put hotdogs up her arm and one under her arm to carry them. Bob C

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I am currently researching a little family history, and I am wondering if you (or anyone else) knows anything about the Shady Lawn Tea Room? It seems to have been the it place for bridal showers and other wedding fetes in the '40s and '50s. I'm not even sure on what side of town it was located. It comes up a lot when searching through Vindy archives (FYI, the easy/free way to access them is here): http://www.vindy.com/family-research/

I'd appreciate any info/memories from anyone on Shady Lawn.

Leah said...

This is great. I worked at McKay Machine Co. and our daily lunch was at 20th Century. The holiday parties were at the Mural Room.
What wonderful memories this brings back. The Colonial Room was a favorite of mine. Drove by to work one morning there were body parts in the area from a gangster hit!

Diane.Barber said...

This is a wonderful post.Such memories for me!!! The Golden Drumstick was our family' s favorite place to go out to eat. Then we would have dessert across the street at Handel's. Those were the days. I was born in 1952 and my parents are both gone now so I really enjoyed the post. Thanks!!!

Ginny N said...

Brought back a lot of good memories. I was a Phi Mu at Youngstown University in the early 60's and went to a lot of those restaurants. Always went "dressed up" so different from today. Do any of you remember the pizza from the Sunrise in Warren (it still is the best around) or the Hot Dog Shop on W. Market St. in Warren. Still in business and the still have wonderful hot dogs. How about Jay on Market St. in Yo?
Ginny N.

Mouse 64 said...

Who said 'surfin' wasn't fun
anymore. That's how I found this post. Been a Ytown nostalgist Many years. I've got lots of Great memories from 'back in the day'. I collect Ytown postcards from the 50's & 60's so this memory lane trip Hit the spot. Morgans was my favorite. Still looking for the recipe for their Slim Jim sandwhich. Thanks for the post and to all of You for the added comments.

PAT BD said...

What fun reading the comments.I worked as an x-ray tech at Northside Hospital,and our group went almost every week to the 20th Century for the Spinning Bowl. Also went to the...Bellfair?Bar for pizza. Have made the Spinning Bowl, but lost my recipe. Maybe I'll try the one on this site. Also, Morgan's Slim Jim was a favorite of mine,too.Can only remember shredded lettuce with mayo and ham, must have had more..cheese, maybe?? Hope Kurt Malkoff puts the family recipes on here. Please??

Anonymous said...

Ah--such sweet old memories--it was fun to read
Sheila

Peter W Barber said...

The drive in restaurant at the corner of Market Street and Shields Road was the Y-Go-By. Spent many an hour there.

Tom said...

What about Courtney's on Glenwood Ave. Then there is a myriad of great tavern food. I just ate at the Boulevard last night and had breakfast at the Golden Dawn today.

JG said...

Very cool I own a local restaurant and love the old restaurants and I'm looking to add some classic restaurant items as specials let me know if I can use this one!

desertdoggie said...

yea...the 20th Century...how ironic even today..that the name itself was! it was truly a gourmet's delight. as a ZBT member..we ate there many many times...and were never disappointed! Ahh...what wonderful memories! john pappas

Sandra Z said...

I remember the awesome cheese cake it was such a large piece and New York style!! You could have it plain or with cheeries on top,noone mentioned this in the blog.ahhhhh the memories of the 20th century,we went there many times even if it was just for dessert!!!

Alex said...

I don't know if this is appropriate here, but I am trying to remember the name of a restaurant. It was in Niles, on the strip. It is currently a Brown Derby Roadhouse, and beforehand was Bombay Bicycle Club. Does anyone remember what it was just before that?

Alex said...

I don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask the question, but there is a restaurant on the stip in Niles. It is a Brown Derby Roadhouse. Beforehand, it was Bombay Bicycle Club. Does anyone remember what it was just before that?

Macman said...

I believe that one or two (?) of the ownwers Ginzburg and Levy also were invovled w/ the Burger Chef restaurants that were on Mahoning Ave and Market St. in Youngstown. Read the post and totally enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Did you ever eat @ the BRass Rail which was downtown on Federal St. ?

Anonymous said...

The 20th Century was the best...does anyone remember Handel's Ice Cream on the South Side? During the summer, you had to park five blocks away to find a space and wait as much as an hour for the cadiac arrest inducing pay off. And what about Dung Ho, so aptly named.

Anonymous said...

All great posts. Glad someone posted spinning bowl salad recipe. Strous malts were fabulous

Anonymous said...

who woned the Colonial House? We were raking our brains and cant remember.

NanciA said...

Colonial House was owned by Carl Rango in partnership with Vince Deniro (who was killed outside the restaurant).

Jeanne said...

Do you have other pictures of the 20th Century restaurant? I would love to see them. Thanks for posting this. I really appreciate this post.

Anonymous said...

Not me, my mom would take us boys shopping with her at Strouss and we would always be treated with the Chocolate Malts. YUMMY YUMMY

Richie Bo Zuka.......Charlotte NC Mooney 64

Anonymous said...

Yep, Yellow Creek, Chateaubriand and Isaly's where I picked up milk for the Sheet & Tube while working my way thru YSU. And of course Belleria mentioned below.

Richie Bo Zuka

Anonymous said...

My favorite hang out was the Cactus Bar on South Ave

Richie Bo Zuka

Anonymous said...

Hooters?

Anonymous said...

Saw Joe Levy and his wife at a local restaurant not too long ago. He gave me the recipe for the salad. I am frantically looking for it and will post as soon as I find it. I do remember him saying the eggs need to be grated.

Bill Moore said...

No mention of Mr. Wheelers on Belmont near Delaware that made best and thickest shakes in town. Worked there in my teens in early 1940s.

Bruce said...

I remember it well. What about Mickey's on S. Market street. Great piano and sing-a-long music with a pitcher of beer.

Bruce - The Rayen School - Class of 54.

Anonymous said...

Ed, December 7th, 2012

I will always remember the wonderful (Greasy) French Fry's at Idora Park in the summer! Thanks for all of the memories!

Ed Ursulin High - Class of 54

Libby Gilpatric said...

Does anyone remember Swenson's, the tiny drive-in near and across the street from Boardman School? We used to hear the hot-rodders squealing their tires - leaving a strip-on Market Street. It was soon replaced in popularity by those Golden Arches down at Route 224. MacDonald's cups and wrappers dotted the sidewalk all the way to BHS. Now all of that area is a commercial center with box stores from the Boardman Plaza to Southern Park Mall. The old landscape lives only in my memory. Aren't we a nostalgic bunch? Youngstown was great in those days.

Libby - Boardman High School - Class of 58

Anonymous said...

Ok, folks, does ANYONE remember the Belvedere Restaurant? I think it's was wear the Eastwood Mall is today ??? - thank you very much Edie DiBartolo ...

Unknown said...

One of my fondest memories as a child was diving into a box of Golden Drumstick fried chicken! The crispy coating was delicious and the biscuits with butter and honey melted in your mouth. Whenever dad asked were we wanted to eat, the Golden Drumstick was always the top choice!

Ted - Boardman High School 1965

gary blisard said...

Does anyone remember the Colony House Tea Room at 4616 Yo. Poland Rd.? Owners were Martin & Mary Snyder. Probably in business from the 1950's to about the early 1970's. The Monessori school which opened in 1976 is now at this location in the original house. Would like to know some more about this old place, built about 1935.

Anonymous said...

eastwood is a cafaro mall...not debartolo

Anonymous said...

I went to several of the Fire department Indians games. Great train ride. Great games. Saw Mantle and Maris. Hoped them royally. I remember Ringside. Did they not have some good Chinese food -- or am I thinking of some poverty else. Small little bar restauanton Glenwoood ave across from the clay tennis courts -- crystal tavern and spaghetti house. There was a time when it was my favorite piazza place and dining joint.

Anonymous said...

I thought the Lyden Family owned the Colonial House at some point; in the 1970's and 80's.

Tom Schell said...

What about the Golden Dawn owned by the Naples brothers Carmen and Ralph. They still go to work everyday in their white shirts and ties. Anytime I am back in Ytown I make sure to eat there and get a Schooner. The place looks good amidst a trying neighborhood

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this post. The 20th Century was an all-time favorite. They had the best German Chocolate cake! Makes me teary eyed thinking about this and all of the other great spots mentioned.

Anonymous- The Rayen School- Class of 81

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Rayen graduate of 81 I was in your graduating class and remember so many wonderful family meals at the Twentieth Century. I saved the recipe posted above for the Spinning Bowl Salad and WILL be making it in the next few days.

Anonymous said...

I will always cherish the memories of the 20th Century restaurant. Joe Levy was the owner when I used to go there. He was just so much fun. He would run into the kitchen and come out with something he concocted and urged me to try it. Thanks for this wonderful post.

Anonymous said...

I believe my mom & dad had their wedding reception here. In 1950. July 14.

Timothy W. Terry said...

OMG I'm sitting here just wanting to cry at the loss. I remember everything except The Twentieth Century. My brother took the whole family to dinner at the ElRio when he got his first paycheck. The whole entire family including grandparents went to Alberini's. The lasgna and home made salad dressing was out of this world. I worked at Wonderboy abd met my wife future wife there. So many good memories of The Players Brown Derby and the stars that frequented. Thanks so much for posting this. I also had my prom at The Mural Room

Rob Z. said...

What fun! I scanned trying to think what I could contribute - things are pretty well covered - I would like to add Nick's Little Casino on lower Market Street and the Wander Inn over on South Avenue.

Anonymous said...

Glad you mentioned Ding or Dung Ho restaurant! I thought I was the only one to remember that place!

L. Malkoff said...

Does anyone remember The Oven, somewhere on the south side (Market St.?) In the 60's, when I was a kid, I thought they had the best spaghetti ever.
L. Malkoff

Valerie Mansour-Allen said...

Anyone remember 5th Ave Pizza? It was my dad's shop and he was the first to deliver hot pizza in the 60's. He made a hot box on the back of a golf cart and would deliver all over the northside, especially around YSU. Our first shop was located on Fifth Ave. next door to the Red Cross. We also had our last shop on Belmont Ave at the point. It was called 5th Ave Leaning Tower of Pizza.
Thanks for the memories about all the great Ytown food. We came from an ethnically rich food haven!

Ken Bauer said...

Gosh, I was only there from 1964-1972 and went to YSU and taught at old Washsington School in Warren and ate of most of the places there....all wonderful....went to Cherrys one time and felt like New York. The Spaghetti Place downtown was inexpensive and good. Lived in the old Pick Ohio Hotel as a freshman at YSU ;and ate mostly spaghetti my first year at that place....also worked at Central Candy and Cigar on Friont Street if you can remember that outlet....great part time job....live in NC now, but Youngstown has given me wonderful memories. Kenny. Bauer.

kathe said...

Anyone have THE recipe for the Mural Room's salad dressing? We used to buy it and take it home we loved it so much? It was smooth and creamy and kind of a pinkish color. Kathe

Anonymous said...

Oh my oh my have I had fun reading all of this. I graduated from Boardman in 65 and we went to the Blvd Tavern all the time. I also would die for a slim jim recipe from Morgans Wonderboy. What fun that was sitting in your car there and seeing who was driving around.
I miss the Chateaubriand and the veal francaise from back there. When I go back to Yo I must eat veal francaise 4 times. Cafe 422 has good stuff. I also went to YU in the early 60's. Excaped to CA in the 80's but nothing can compare to all this food back in Ytown. Oh yummy....and the church's perogi's, I could go on and on and on......Courtney's, had a blast there. Good dance music.
Thanks too for the wonderful memories.

Anonymous said...

Tony Naples owned the Lime lighter Lounge in Uptown. I loved that place. Met Vicki Lawrence and Lyle Wagner there one night. They had been playing Packard. Went to school with Tony, nice guy. Unfortunately it was arsoned along with so many many of our favorite restaurants. i would hear an explosion at night and say to myself "oh no, wonder which restaurant they got this time"....

Anonymous said...

This has been such a walk down memory lane . I'm surprised no one mentioned the Victoria Restaurant that was on Belmont Avenue. Not too far down from the 20th Century, on the same side of the road.

Sara A Heitz said...

Oh my, what memories, I was just a kid really, I think I was about 14 when we moved, but Youngstown left a real mark on me. We used to go to the Wonder Bakery and get fresh Twinkies for 7 cents. This was back when Steel was a big thing, they were everywhere. My Mom worked at the Little Casino, we lived right across the street there on market street, right above a Pizza place, oh my was the pizza wonderful and I remember the food at the Casino, Audrey, I am sure that is her name was one of the cooks, and man she made the best food in the world, she could make leftovers taste like 4 star food. I went to South High for two years, that I will never forget for several reasons, anyway, thanks for the Memories, da dadada dada......

Sara A Heitz said...

Oh and I forgot the best thing ever, Ma took me to a United Methodist Church, I think on Mahoning Ave. and oh my the Cinnamon Rolls the ladies made there for fund raisers they were unbelievable, to this day, I have never tasted one as good. Sheesh how could I forget that.